Tourism, Culture, Gender and Social Development
MS.PENINAH CHESANGAT LONG'IROT CEC TOURISM, SPORTS, CULTURE & SOCIAL DEVELOPMENT.
MR. WILSON NGOROKO
CO YOUTH AND SPORTS.
CULTURE, WILDLIFE & TOURISM.
Vision- To be a leading department in nurturing diversification and make West Pokot County a tourism destination of choice
Mission-To make West Pokot County a top class tourism destination and maximize the potential of youth through participatory engagement
equity and diversity Integrity,
transparency and accountability
Creativity and innovation .
The mandate of the department is to undertake formulation, coordination, administration of policy and programs with respect to promotion of Tourism, Culture, Sports, Youth, Social and Children Services functions. The department has the responsibility to provide an enabling environment for all stakeholders in the sector.
1) The department protected 50 percent of Nasolot Game reserve,
2) Total of 600,000 community members were educated on importance of conservation of cultural artefacts and this was reached through radio talk shows held.
3) Over 20 tourists attraction sites were identified and the department also conducted 2 day Training workshop on hospitality.
4) To co-ordinate, review and implement gender, social and youth development, 4 campaigns, sensitizations held and also trained 1200 people with 20 campaigns done against FGM.
5) 4 Youth Empowerment Centres in operation one in each sub-county namely; makutano youth centre in west pokot subcounty, alale youth centre in pokot north sub-county, chepareria youth center in pokot south and sigor youth center in pokot central. These centres hosted a total of 3000 youths in one year and 80 youths were trained on entrepreneurial skills.
6) Identified and nurtured 115 youth Sports talent.
7) Conducted 22 Football tournaments from the ward level, held 3 Athletics competitions and trained 100 Sports officials.
8) To improve heritage and culture awareness, knowledge appreciation and conservation,4 New cultural sites were identified.
9) Mapped and registered 5 of organized traditional dancers’ groups.
|Project Description||Ward||Project Status|
|Completion Of Cottages||Kapenguria||On Going|
|Construction Of Chepareria Youth Empowerment Center||Chepareria||Complete And Operational|
|Construction Of Ecd Classroom At Kaptabuk||Lelan||Complete And Operational|
|Construction Of Sintagh Cultural Centre||Tamkal||Complete And Operational|
|Renovation Of Konyao Social Hall||Konyao||Complete And Operational|
|Equipping Of All Youth Empowerment Centers||Chepareria Mnagei Sigor Alale||On Going|
|County Community Service Programm||Not Started|
|Fencing Of Makutano Youth Empowerment Centre||Mnagei||Complete And Operational|
|Completion Of Leveling Of Nyarkulian Primary School-Tapach||Tapach||Complete And Operational|
|Makutano Stadium(Phase 11)||Mnagei||Complete And Not Operational|
|Proposed Levelling Of Playing Field Of Tapach And Sina||Tapach||Complete And Operational|
|Purchase Of Ten Tractors For County Community Service||Alale||Complete And Operational|
|Conducting Environmental Impact Assessment For Tourism Hotel In West Pokot||Riwo||Complete And Operational|
|Levelling Of Amangora Playing Field-Alale Ward||Alale||Complete And Operational|
|Grading And Levelling Of Sports Fields (Nyarkulian Primary And Tangasia Primary||Tapach||Complete And Operational|
|Levelling Of Sports Field At Alale||Alale||Complete And Operational|
|Levelling Of Sports Field At Kamila||Kiwawa||Complete And Operational|
|Field Levelling At Lokichar||Kodich||Complete|
|Field Levelling And Grading Of Totum Primary School||Mnagei||Complete|
|Field Levelling And Grading Of Lityei Galib Mohamed Primary School||Mnagei||Complete|
|Proposed Leveling Of Tapach And Sina Playgrounds||Tapach||Complete|
|Completion Of Leveling Of Nyarkulian Primary School||Tapach||Complete And Operational|
|Proposed Levelling Of Playing Fields At Sigor,Chepareria And Runo||Weiwei, Chepareria||Complete And Operational|